What sex are these Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickenMom69, Nov 1, 2012.

1. NewChickenMom69

NewChickenMom69 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I have these 5 EE's that I hatched they are about 8 weeks old. I have read several posts on how to tell what sex they are. I am still lost " [​IMG]. can someone help me out to give there expertise on what sex these chicks may be..?

Here is all 5
    [​IMG]

Here is 4 of the 5 chicks
    [​IMG]

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    the black and whtes are males, the one to the far right may be as well but i cant tell

3. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    X2

4. NewChickenMom69

May 8, 2012
    Thank you for your input Just Hatched.. Here is one more picture of the far right one to see the feather pattern.
    [​IMG]

5. NewChickenMom69

May 8, 2012
    Thank you :)

6. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    i'd guess all girls

7. NewChickenMom69

May 8, 2012
    That is what I thought, but then I began to read the posts and I started questioning... I hatched Australorps and GLW and they were very easy to sex, these are much harder.. I was hoping for 5 girls since I just lost 3 of my Australorps to a red fox last week [​IMG]and I am not allowed to have roosters

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I see 2 white colored males and 3 females.

9. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    The black and white ones are both cockerals for sure...the darkest black/tan one also looks like a roo - that comb is awefully red and large. The two lighter brown ones are both pullets.

10. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    EEs can sometimes be sexed by color pattern, but black and white ones can be tough. Your 2 lightest browns are girls. Not sure on the rest. I don't see any of the patchy red coloring on the wings that is usually present by 8 weeks. Some closer pictures might help.

Look carefully at their combs. A pullet's will be pale and have only one small ridge down the center.
    [​IMG]

A young cockerel will have a bright pink comb that is much more prominent and the 3 distinct ridges will be forming.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by