What sex are these silkie mixes?

All4Eggz

𝕁𝕖𝕤𝕦𝕤 + ℂ𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕟𝕤 = 𝓐𝓵𝓵 𝓘 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
3-4 months, most likely.
I see one or two in that group you could grab that I'd be 70% sure was female. But there's no way to know right now, really.
Which two?

And if you were to make a educated guess, how many females and how many males? I'm aware that nobody knows for sure at this age. Just curious what you think.

Yardmom

Songster
May 3, 2018
Waterford, PA
The picture of them younger can help. In person (on my silkies) I can tell by the placement of the crest. At their current age I would expect cockeral tails to sit a bit higher than pullets. The body size may also be larger for cockerals. Comb appearance can help as well ,as some hens never develop much of a comb at all. I always have a hard time judging in a pic, but I would guess the first light colored one pictured male and the naked neck male. The other 2 are possibly pullets.

TheOddOneOut

🙄🤚Just Be
Premium Feather Member
Feb 15, 2020
Home
The picture of them younger can help. In person (on my silkies) I can tell by the placement of the crest. At their current age I would expect cockeral tails to sit a bit higher than pullets. The body size may also be larger for cockerals. Comb appearance can help as well ,as some hens never develop much of a comb at all. I always have a hard time judging in a pic, but I would guess the first light colored one pictured male and the naked neck male. The other 2 are possibly pullets.
But these are mutts.
Plus, crest sexing is never all that accurate when they're chicks.

Top Bottom