What sex are these silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ND Sue, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    I have 2 silkies that are approx. 12 weeks old or so. One has crowed, so I know I have at least one rooster.
    If I scratch their backs, one does the butt up thing that hens do. Or do roosters do this also?

I have found comb size don't matter in these since I have one black one with a big comb that I thought was a roo because of comb size and she's laying eggs, so guess not!

Here are some pics. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Both look like roos to me.

3. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    yeah it looks like two roos

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think they both look like roos to me too.... but I have never had a roo do the "butt up thing" not even a lower roo.

5. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    That's what has me confused! They both have the long hairs in back, but one is more so than the other. Is that a rooster characteristic?

Only one crows and they are both the same age. The one who crows is narrower bodied and more "in your face." If the older chickens that are free ranging walk by, he is the one who is right there in front.
    The one who does the butt up thing is wider bodied if that makes a difference. Also very quiet. Every now and then they do rooster play fight, but so do some of my confirmed hens.
    Has anyone had one with the long hairs in back of the head turn out to be a hen? Please, please please! I hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by