what sex, breed is his??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stellas mommy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    I had a chick hatch yesterday its a light blonde color with lots of feathering on its feet. Funny thing is we have no chickens with feathering on its feet. What breed do you think it can be and what sex?

[​IMG]

2. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    you must have some sort of brahma mix in your flock somewhere to have the gene?

3. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    I seriously dont have anything of the sort. I have Black Astrolop, Buff Orphingtons, RHR, Ameracauna, and Red Star. I reciently bought some Welsummers too. None have any sort of feathering on the feet. Thats why I'm so confused?

4. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

Some traits can be hidden in the genes. I'm not sure about feathered legs specifically, but I wouldn't assume that because my flock has all clean legs that I couldn't get a feathered leg chick. I would first assume that one of my birds has mixed parentage, even though it might not be readily apparent.

5. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    That is so cool, so do you think if when shes old enough, I can incubate her eggs and get more feathered legged chicks? Its pretty cute :p

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    the americaunas are most likely EEs aka Americauna mixes. That is probobly where it came from. a aret of the americauna with feathered egss that didnt show n them but appeared on the offsring.
    yes her babys will likely have feathers on at least some of them even if it is just a few feathers.

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    i havee a maran mixed with an americauna and it is clean legged although its sibling has 2 random feahers on each leg

8. stellas mommy

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Yeah with this chick it also has a very very large poofy neck. The rest are just reg chicks but this one is just the very odd one out of the bunch lol

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Your red sex links could be carrying the leg feathering gene too since they are basically hybrids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by