What sex do you think these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aussie_chooken, Nov 8, 2007.

1. aussie_chooken

aussie_chooken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2007
    Hi there fellow chicken fans!

My husband and i are brand new to the chicken thing, we just adore our 6 feathered friends! Like many of you though, we are dreading the possibility that one or more of our 'girls' may be little roos, as we aren't able to keep one should it happen.

So would love your opinions! i know it may be too early to tell, especially with the silkies. they are all different ages though. we have 4 silkies and 2 cochins.

audrey, cochin, 10 weeks old (i am sure she is a hen):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jude, cochin, 8 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gus, silkie, 10 weeks old, again i am sure she's a hen:

[​IMG]

Eddie(Edna), silkie, 6 weeks old, I have a feeling a roo. More comb growth than the others, and also grew VERY quickly and is the same size as Molly the 8 week old. Also very vocal, but a gutless wonder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Molly, silkie, 8 weeks old, pretty sure a hen:

[​IMG]

And LuLu, the baby of them all, is about 5 weeks old:

[​IMG]

I know some may be too young to tell, and the photos aren't close up either so that doesn't help. but any input is appreciated.

in the meantime, think girly thoughts!

thanks a bunch!

2. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Eddie and Gus look a little bit boy like to me, but dont take my opinion. I could tell my boys very early on. They were bigger, comb went further up into the head, and big heavy feet too! They sure are cute!

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have had good luck sexing my own silkies (I tell by the way they carry themselves also my roos have been taller and girls sit closer to the ground)

the white cochins look like girls! [​IMG]

not sure about Jude (I would say if he/she is a boy the comb will get redder & bigger in the next 2 weeks)

4. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Hello and welcome to the board! [​IMG]

Out of the cochins, I think Audrey is a hen and Jude is a roo.

As far as the silkies are concerned, it's really hard to tell at that age in person, let alone in pics. Your guesses are probably going to prove accurate with them.

A very cute bunch! Enjoy them! [​IMG]

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    very pretty chickens [​IMG]

I think those chickens are old enough for you to take them out that brooder. [​IMG]

6. aussie_chooken

Nov 8, 2007
    thanks a bunch people.

yes they are a very cute group!

as for the brooder, it's quite sizeable and they can't be outside alone yet because they are still small enough to be picked off by predators. so they stay in at night, and go on supervised ranges during the day. they are very happy and content little chicks [​IMG]

7. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Jude is a roo - silkies will be able to tell at about 3 months so give it a few more weeks and you'll get much better wattle growth of the males.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Your white cochin girl is a hen; and Jude is a rooster. Not sure about the silkies. Some people say you sometimes have to wait till they crow or lay a egg. Your chicks are really cute though. [​IMG]

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I'm voting girl for Jude. If they are 8 weeks old, that comb would be all red, not just the base. JMO.[​IMG]

10. aussie_chooken

Nov 8, 2007
    thanks again everyone.

chickenlady, i am on your side with jude! but maybe because i just really, really want to convince myself she is not a roo. but jude is very, very quiet and passive and not vocal at all. she's curious, but not bold in any way. audrey's behaviours are more roo like IMO, Jude is just in the background really.

but i am definitely not Roo-ling anything out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by