What sex is my 5 week old silkie?

It's really too early to tell. Silkies are tricky. And on the head poof: if it's a silkie from a hatchery/feed store, it isn't very likely to have a large crest. I would give it a few more weeks though. My stock at around 6 weeks look like this.

He is from a feed store. Darn.. I was hoping he would be super poofy :) that's ok though, he still a sweetie. What age do you think I'll be able to tell the sex and how?

Thank you!

If you want super poofy, you should get into contact with silkie breeders in your area. Even their culls can be super poofy, just not able to be used for show/breeding because of little things like toes or wings. But no matter the poofiness, they have some of the sweetest personalities of all the breeds.
smile.png
I would say around 4 months. It is actually easier to tell on hatchery stock, all the fluff doesn't cover up their face
lol.png
Comb growth and the appearance of 'streamers' is how you tell for cockerels. Streamers are long, slick, shiny feathers that extend from the crest in cockerels. Hens will have a uniform 'puff' of feathers, no streamers. Here's a cockerel. See the streamers?

He is soooo cute! Unfortunately there are no breeders in my area.. i live on a little island in the middle of the pacific ocean. I'm sure the feed store got him from a hatchery. Does anyone have photos of their silkies at around 5 weeks, then around 4 months?

Mine, 5 almost 6 weeks

Attachments

• D1E05530-AF4D-4B54-866D-3FC6FBBE4425.jpeg
    D1E05530-AF4D-4B54-866D-3FC6FBBE4425.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 8D0CDEA5-7AC1-47CF-B43C-BE12BDC31B1E.jpeg
    8D0CDEA5-7AC1-47CF-B43C-BE12BDC31B1E.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 70
I live on the mainland, but my favorite place is a little island in the Pacific...we may be talking about the same island haha. There are feral chickens wandering here and there, making it even more lovely in my opinion...although I am not sure what it means for the local ecosystem. I am going back in July and am super excited!

Hello again! I posted pictures of my seven week old silkies yesterday to see if I could get some guesses on sexing. They are hatchery birds. Unfortunately, my worries were confirmed....thinking 2 girls and 6 boys. Yikes!!!!

Back
Top Bottom