What sex is my Rose Comb Rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by herechickchick, Mar 31, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Boy or Girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i think see the hint of a spir in the shadow of the first pic, cant really say though, try posting a side pic of the bird.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Spurs don't develop on cockerels till about eight months old or older. That bump you see is on both boys and girls. The comb seems to be pinkening up toward the back. Are the legs particularly thick, Adam? That's one way I could tell with my RIRs the last time.

4. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    The legs are not any thicker than anyone else's. The comb is getting a little pink at the top, you are right.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Very nice color. Looks about three weeks old. I don't see any wattles so could be a pullet. My cockerals at that age tend to be much taller than the girsl

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Not totally sure on this one, but I will guess pullet.

7. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I am going to take more photos of this one and post them tomorrow. Julie is this one is a boy I will want some more eggs when you get back from vacation and are all settled in. [​IMG]

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    We will see what we can do. I thougt that color looked like one of my chicks.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Adam, I keep looking at this one, and I just can't make up my mind. Could definitely go either way, but the legs don't look really thick, like the cockerel I hatched from Julie's eggs last year. Possibly a pullet there.

10. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:[​IMG] of course it is one of yours! and a true stunner so far, NOTHING like a hatchery RIR, so beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by