1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What sex is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bbower, Sep 20, 2008.

1. bbower

bbower Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    We have two black sex links and I am curious to know
    if one is a rooster. What is the difference? I don't know how to add a photo yet but I will email it to anyone that can answer my question. Thanks for the help.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
  3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    How old are they? When they are chicks, the males have a white spot on their heads and the females don't. If they are older and all black, then they are females. Males will have barred rock coloring.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    i can answer with confidence i breed black sex links.when they grow their feathers if they are an iridescent black ( black that has a green look when in the light.) it is a hen.but if it is black and white checkered like a barred rock it is a noisy crowing rooster [​IMG] but a few black sex link hens are brown and black almost looking like a golden laced wyndote it is a hen too. a black sex link is when you breed a red rooster (rir) whit a barred hen (barred rock) (dominque) plz excuse my spelling :|

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  5. bbower

Sep 20, 2008
    Thank you for your answers. After seeing the photos I see that I just have one very noisey pullet.

6. bbower

Sep 20, 2008
    I know I was convinced I had a noisy pullet but are they supposed to have this much comb & wattle?? My other one doesn't have much and is so much quieter.
    [​IMG]

7. bbower

Sep 20, 2008
    I will not question anyone about what I have anymore. It is in fact just a noisy pullet. We got another egg from her just a few minutes ago.[​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Woo hoo!!! That's why she was being noisy!! Even without knowing about the egg, that is definitely a pullet.

Congrats!!!

9. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    without the knowledge of the egg from the photo i deem that a hen and a pretty hen at that.good luck with your two pretty roosters [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Very pretty pullet! Pullets and hens can have rather large combs and wattles. Laying eggs and feathers are the ultimate giveaway! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by