What sex link combo is the best for laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happydodgefarm6113, Feb 2, 2011.

1. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I know there are many diffrent ways to combine chickens to get sex links. but I want to buy the best combonations of breeds so I can make my own super layers.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The super laying aspect has to come from super laying parent stock. The super, high production sex links from the hatcheries are created by buying parent stock from the commercial genetics corporations.

To get super laying Red sex links, you could combine a production Red over a top laying Leghorn, for example.

You get a wee bit of "jump", just from the hybrid factor, but average parents will produce average off spring.
    The super, high production sex links from the hatcheries are created by buying parent stock from the commercial genetics corporations.

3. happydodgefarm6113

Aug 25, 2010
    If i started with red and black stars then bred them together would that be the best way to go?

4. happydodgefarm6113

Aug 25, 2010
    If a buy them from a hatcherie and breed thewm together that would work to. right

5. Fred's Hens

Ok, let's take this a bit slower.

That you can distinguish, by color, the chicks is what makes them sexable, or Sex Link.

It says nothing about the egg laying. If you just buy some Black Stars and bred them, you just get nice mutts. Nice, but mutts.
    Ditto with Red Stars.

To get what you asked for in your original post, an AWESOME layer by making your own chicks, you'd have to buy super high quality breeding stock. You might ask a hatchery whether they would sell you parent stock. Will they sell you one their Barred Rock and one of their Rhode Island Red type birds, that they use to make their Black Stars.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  6. Fred's Hens

This is what a hatchery uses to make a black sex link, such as the Black Star. A Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red type hybrid.

The question is this. Does that hatchery use the same Barred Rocks to make Barred Rocks chicks as well? Do they use the same RIR to make RIR chicks? If so, you'd be good to go. IF, these are the exact same strains as the parent stock of the black sexlink chicks.

What the hatchery may or may not tell you is the specifics. They may not wish to tell you this information. Many hatcheries consider the parent stock of their sex links to be a kind of trade secret.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I guess I misunderstood your question to mean a BSL versus a RSL. Heres my answer anyway. I have both, BSL from TSC and RSL from McMurray. By far the better egg layer has been the McMurray. She's not much biger than my leghorns. After laying a couple shelless eggs she has given me a Jumbo egg daily the largest weighing in at 3oz. The BSLs give me 4-5 eggs a wk, Med to Lrg. and are as big as my BOs.

Since your going to breed your own you can pick the parent stock that has high egg production.

8. happydodgefarm6113

Aug 25, 2010
    Thank you and now I know more about this process. We have 3 great Red stars that lay 28 out of 30 days extra large eggs every time. They are very friendly as well. We want more like the ones we have but we dont know where these girls came from. We bought them from a friend who was given them and they have no idea where they were purchased.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Fred's Hens :

The super laying aspect has to come from super laying parent stock. The super, high production sex links from the hatcheries are created by buying parent stock from the commercial genetics corporations.

To get super laying Red sex links, you could combine a production Red over a top laying Leghorn, for example.

You get a wee bit of "jump", just from the hybrid factor, but average parents will produce average off spring.
    The super, high production sex links from the hatcheries are created by buying parent stock from the commercial genetics corporations.

White Leghorns, in general, do not make sexlinks becuase they are usually either extended black or birchen under two copies of Dominant White. So when crossed with other colors, they come out white with black dots in both sexes.​

10. Fred's Hens

Clint, thanks. I used a poor example.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by