What Sex Pup To Get?*Pics Added PG5*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Nov 22, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If you had a 4 yr old spayed female and a 3 yr old neutered male and you wanted to bring in a new pup...
    What sex would you get?
    What is the safest way to go for everyone to live together in peace?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    For me, since both are spayed and kinda close in age, it would be all about temperment, and then size. Of course, health would be number 1, but I guess that goes unsaid.

What are ya looking to get?

Oh wait, duh! Did you mean you already have the other 2, and are wanting a new dog? (sorry, blonde moment! [​IMG] )

In that case, I would get something that will grow to relatively the same adult size as the other two dogs. I dont think I would be concerned about the sex, other than males can be terrtorial, even after being neutered, so maybe a girl?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess you shouldn't ask me... LOL

Probably a little female.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:LOL

You poor baby!

I think it depends on the temperment of your dogs and the breed you get.

Some breeds don't get along with other the same sex. But I think if you'r dogs don't mind it's just a personal choice. If it's a pup and you work on socialization you should be fine.

I personal like females, but I've had some awsome males too.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    As long as you are alpha and have control it makes no difference. I prefer males myself, they are more stable and easier to train as they don't go thru tons of hormonal changes like a female. Also, if neutered as soon as medically able, they sometimes don't lift their leg and don't mark.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Gahhh! I dont know what to do now.. [​IMG]

The breeder told me she thinks a male is better for me.. because females tend to fight more [​IMG]... and males, once fixed are usually more stable.. espically if bringing in a pup and being raised with it??
    I really want to make the right decision here... cause i'll have to live with them ALL in my house for many years... [​IMG]

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Ok what kind of dogs do you have now?

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Male male male.

Of course it depends on the temperament of the dogs you already have.

In my humble experience, female dogs tend to be, well, they're called B's for a reason LOL They tend to act like high school "mean girls" to other dogs, and my boy dog will just suck it up and give me the sad eyes, but other girls hold grudges for next time. I have two dogs of similar age to yours, one male one female, and we'd definitely get a second neutered male if I were to expand the pack (which I won't at this time, but just in theory)
    For the record, both of my dogs are excellent with humans but I've seen the female be a little "passive aggressive" to the male and she doesn't like the neighbor's (spayed I think) girl dog either.

I've heard that the boys tend to settle their differences once and for all and once they know their place they are happy, but in a "pack" setting the females move around in status depending on who is in heat, so even among spayed girls they tend to challenge the pack structure more frequently than the males. Maybe it's just the breeds of dogs that I have, but thus far the theory holds water with me.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My female isnt a fighter... but shes more high strung/hyper than my male.
    But i did have a male dane a while ago.(rescue dog.. brought him in as an adult).... and him and my male saint bernard started to fight.**little squabbles**.. ( But, they ALWAYS stopped right away as soon as i said "hey!" ..THANK GOD.. hate to imagine breaking up a fight between a Bernard and a Dane.. )...
    but still dont want to deal with dogs fighting in my house....
    There is only one female pup in the litter...so i need to make my choice NOW..

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Saint bernards..
    The pup i want to bring in is a mixed breed... Boxer x standard poodle.. **dont laugh, he's cuuuute!** [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by