1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what sex??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by streemers, Sep 27, 2009.

1. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    okay i bought 15 roos from a lady to butcher but when i got them last night it was dark and i think i might have a hen or 2. i have never raised chickens and didnt plan on it but if i do have a hen or 2 i would keep them. i could always use more eggs;) how can i tell whats a roo from a hen?
    also she gave me a bunch of bantams? how big will they get?
    i got road island reds, cornish and something else but i cant tell whats a boy and whats a girl help!

2. Cockadoodlezoo

Cockadoodlezoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    South Dakota
    Pics would be nice [​IMG]

3. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, pictures are needed to help. But, Roosters wobbles and combs will be larger than the hens and their saddle feathers, which are the feathers near the base of the tail and to the middle of the back, are pinted and hang down more than the hens rounded tip saddle feathers

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:They are wattles [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

6. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    between 2 and 7 months old but a lot of them are still getting their tail feathers.

7. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I see some definite roosters and a couple that are hard to tell - at 7 months of age, the pullets would have big combs too, then they'd probably be laying.

The one chicken I see that really looks like a hen to me is the barred rock drinking from the blue swimming pool - that one looks like a mature pullet (unless you can see pointed saddle feathers hanging down near his tail). From the view I have - it looks like a female - the dark coloring especially (males are usually a lot lighter).

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    The red one in this last picture looks like a hen to me as well.

10. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

2nd to last picture the chicken in the backgroud looks like a hen, the comb is smaller than the one in front and tail feathers look much different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by