what sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rubycal, Oct 2, 2012.

1. rubycal

rubycal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    I have some new birds that if I'm hoping someone will tell me the sex. Any responses are appreciated. I'm fairly new to chickens so please don't assume I know anything ;) The brahmas and the older easter eggers are supposed to be about 4 months, while the younger ones are supposed to be about 2 months.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see a whole bunch of cockerels

3. hotteaplez

hotteaplez Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I am hoping someone has an answer for you. I am in the same boat. I am getting better, but I never feel quite sure. Good luck w/your feathers, they can be so wonderful. The very bad part is when something gets them, or they just die. [​IMG] GOOD LUCK

4. rubycal

rubycal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    thats what I thought with the ee but I don't know anything about brahmas, them too?

5. hotteaplez

Mar 29, 2010
    Missouri
    Hello, soooo, is it the tail feathers you go by? Just that? My 3 are Orpingtons, feathers in back are fluffy and not sprouting upward. One of them has tailfeathers that kinda go up, not like other 2. Mine are 4mos also. Thank you!

6. hotteaplez

Mar 29, 2010
    Missouri
    RubyCal, I could see yours are cockerals also, those tail feathers! They are beautiful for sure!

7. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 they really do look most cockerels to me with the longer tail feathers i see like 2 pullets maybe i couldn't see one of them that well but that means you need to get rid of a lot of them if they are mostly cockerels but good luck

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    buff orps are hard to sex at times age will play a factor, with these birds the cockerels will start to get darker on the wings around 13 weeks of age give or take a few weeks...no it's not just the tail feathers it's the hackles, the saddles, the color of the birds

10. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by