WHAT?! She better not be BROODY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SterlingAcres, Dec 6, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I stuck a cardboard box with some straw and pine shavings into the quarantine cage, for the laying pullets I bought this past week, this morning. I've had one hen sitting in the box for close to 4 hours now. Hasn't moved a muscle, but she's clucking a little and fluffs and growls at the other pullet trying to get in there to lay.

What the heck!? [​IMG] What's my luck?

ETA-- I just scootched her over and she was mad. She's sitting on two eggs. Mint green and khaki I believe, it's dark in the box.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'd call that amazing luck. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Of course, I went and said something, now she's out of the nest pulling more straw in? [​IMG]

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Maybe the nest doesn't suit her.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm expecting some Christmas chicks out of my broody D'uccle. Care to join me? [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Give her a couple more eggs, kinda a waste to just sit on 2 eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG] ???

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LOOKS MUCH BETTTER. [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I got a good look at my girl's (hidden) nest and it looks like she's got 10-12 eggs in there. Having winter chicks is going to be interesting. I didn't plan on letting any of my girls hatch some out until Spring, but mine decided to go broody while I was out of town for a week and DH didn't have a clue. [​IMG]

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Buahaha! Yeah right, seriously, it got down to 10 degrees last night and they are still in quarantine in a dog cage on my porch. There would be no protection for chicks. I stole her eggs and she looks peeved, but if it warms up, I'll let her sit later.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I have three that just hatched, they should be ready to get out of quaranteen, just when the chicks are ready to hatch, so let the others out and Momma gets to stay in the cage. [​IMG]

10. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    You must have amazingly good luck!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by