WHAT?!!!! She stole the eggs!!! :O

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magicpigeon, Dec 27, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I don't know how on EARTH this happened, but to start:

My partridge silkie has been laying eggs in a terracotta pot that I didn't think any of the other birds knew about. They never went near it, I was dead sure it was the partridge's eggs, and she growled whenever I went near it. Today, I found a white silikie hen, one who I thought was still laying, sitting on the eggs in the pot. I thought she was laying an egg there, until I poked her and she growled and refused to come out!!! My partridge also tried to make her come out but she screamed soemthing like, "THEY'RE MINE NOW!!! MUA HAHAHAHAHA!!!" until the partridge ran away... [​IMG]
    I wanted the partridge to become broody! Will she??? The white has 3 eggs in a tiny clutch in my "mini forest" but she's abandoned them for my partridge's eggs. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN????? [​IMG] Really, has this happened to anyone else?!! I am SO confused.. [​IMG]

I'll get a pic [​IMG]

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah, it's a chick thing, y'know? You see a shinier, prettier house and you just GOTTA keep up with the Patridge Family... Chicks, man, always wanting more.

3. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:LOL keeping up with the joneses.......[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Or they don't change nests, but steal eggs from another's nest. Some people separate out their broodies; I'm more inclined to let them play out their drama and see what hatches. They may share mothering duties, too.

5. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] They do that?! The white wasn't even broody, and has only been broody once before in which she managed to sit for 21 days and hatch NO eggs (most of them died after 10 days or so because she kept moving them...). Oh, and another thing, before I forget, is that the white USED to be the dominant hen until she was booted out by my partridge. Ever since then she's been trying to make my partridge's life hell [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I just had 3 broody silkies hatch out clutches together-they fought over the eggs the whole 21 days! I gave them all eggs at about the same time and now the chicks have hatched and all 3 share all duties. Really cute to watch the chicks run from mom to mom!

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    LOL unfortunately mine aren't so close [​IMG] One day I hope to see them share but until then I'll have to feed them separately XD

8. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Awww they'll get there with time! I currently have a set of six ducklings with two duck mums and one chicken mum!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by