What should be happening at this point?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClosetChicks, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ClosetChicks

ClosetChicks New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    Hello! I'm incubating eggs that were set right around midnight on Thursday, July 17th (or Friday, once midnight struck).

Should something be happening by now?

I had 24 eggs, 12 each from two different breeders that were shipped to me. I thought I was broadening my chances, because I had bad luck with my last attempt and none hatched (I'm not even sure they were fertilized, they were from my dad's yard chickens.)

I have been candling (day 7 and 14), and sometimes seeing something, but they are Ameracauana (sp?) eggs and hard to candle with my not-so-great flashlight.

I have a still air incubator that has been right around 100 consistently. I stopped turning and upped my humidity to 65% around day 18.

Should I be seeing some sort of activity at this point?

Thanks in advance! It's my son's bday tomorrow and we were really hoping for some chicks!

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    give it some time its only been 19 days they take 21 you will have babies soon [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  3. ClosetChicks

ClosetChicks New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    So do you think they are due on Saturday? I definitely got confused on my math somewhere along the line, I think the midnight thing screwed me up.

If it's day 19 then I feel much better [​IMG]

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    they are due saturday

5. ClosetChicks

ClosetChicks New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    Okay, it's Saturday! Should they be rocking or peeping yet? Does that always happen before they pip? How can you check for pips if you aren't supposed to open the bator?

I really, really want some babies! I'm eager to see something here.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I know it's really easy to be anxious, but be patient. A lot of people never see their eggs rock at all, or very seldom, so don't worry if you don't see any, and though it would be awesome to see several pip today, it's also totally possible none of them will for another day or two. Just keep your humidity and temps where they should be and keep checking it obsessively every ten minutes. [​IMG]

I'd tell you not to check it obsessively, but let's face it, when mine get close to hatching I'll be running down there (to the pantry where I have the incubator out of reach of my cats and dog) constantly. I might even set up the baby monitor down there so I can hear any peeping from anywhere on the property. hmmm, I wonder where that thing is.

Hope you see something soon![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you have a still air and kept it at 100 degrees they may be a bit late hatching. I think still air is supposed to be 101-102. It doesn't matter...just delays the hatch a day or so.

8. ClosetChicks

ClosetChicks New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    It is so hard to be patient! Especially when you'd already miscalculated the days, I thought I'd be a mother hen by now. Glad to hear everyone doesn't get rocking, peeping eggs, it just seems rampant around here and I've got nothing.

I was just reading old posts and coming back here to ask about my temps. I see now 101-102 but I was so paranoid about overheating them somehow and was more likely at 99-100.8 most of the time. So they should still be okay, just not on schedule?

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's better to keep them too cool than too hot. They are more likely to just go a day late if kept too cool and can still develop down to 96F but will die quickly if you get up to 103-104. Some people have lost their hatch in less than an hour of temps at 104.

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:The 17th. July is ( 14 days ) in JULY and today is AUG. 9th.

SHOULD be hatched or hatching . thats 23 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by