What should humidity be for dry hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KZ, Mar 21, 2011.

1. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    From what I read regarding a dry hatch I was thinking humidity should be 35% days 1-18 give or take, then 65% the last three days. Does this sound right? My incubator keeps the humidity right around 42% (as long as I add water) and as long as I put in a wick it will bump up to 65% for those last three days. But I wonder if I should try to get the humidity down to 35%. Also, I live in a very dry area... very dry! My ambient humidity is about 10%. Does this make a difference? My incubator holds the temp and humidity almost perfect, so as long as I know what I want that humidity to be, I will be in business. Most of my eggs are Marans so it's really difficult to check the air sac.

I am open to hearing everyone's opinion. I don't often see people from really dry climates discussing incubation humidity.

[​IMG] <---------------- I will be waiting by the computer to hear from all you experts. I just put in a lot of eggs Saturday and if I need to change my approach, I can do it now.

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I have heard that you should keep the humidity at around 45% for the first 18 days. So, I would think there would be not reason for you to try to lower it.

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I am not sure what a dry hatch is, but i also live in an arid dry place with a 10% humidity and it is really hard for me to keep my bator at 35% it likes to run at 30% and then hatching is around 60%. I don't know if this qualifys for a dry hatch or not....my chickies are also not hatching very good. I think I need to up the humidity at the end by keeping a sponge in there or something!

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I think the OP means a still air hatch if you were doing a dry hatch it would be just that dry 0% humidity. and I dont think thats possible. 40-45 is nice if you can reach that. and around 60 for hatch time.

5. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Quote:Hmm, I don't have a still air. Maybe that is why I am not finding the info I was looking for. I read that article regarding dry hatches, and it does seem to be geared toward the styrofoam incubators. I have a Sportsman.

6. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    KZ, I've got a fan in my LG and I ran my humidity between 30-35% right up until the last few days. I had great air cells and so far the hatch seems to be going well. I'm in the humid South, I just didn't add any water and it stayed where I wanted it.

I was worried at the end that they'd been too dry, but so far it looks great.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Hmm, I don't have a still air. Maybe that is why I am not finding the info I was looking for. I read that article regarding dry hatches, and it does seem to be geared toward the styrofoam incubators. I have a Sportsman.

if you have a sportsman it should hatch naturally for you just keep water in the tray and add the sportsman wick before on day 18

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Only place you'd get 0% humidity would be somewhere like the Kalahari desert or Death Valley. A dry hatch just means no added water, so your humidity is determined by the atmospheric hunidity in the area where you live. I'd imagine that a dry hatch in Death Valley wouldn't be too successful! I've done dry hatches before, and 30% seems to be (for me anyway!) the minimum acceptable humidity; below that and my eggs dry out too much and die. 35% sounds good to me. I live in the west of Scotland though, which is about the furthest from a dry climate as you can get!

From what I've read on here, folk with still air styrofoam bators seem to do particularly well with dry hatches...

9. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I'm also trying a dry hatch and the articiles I have been reading say to go for 40% and let it drop to 30 or lower for about 12-18 hrs. Then at day 18 raise to 60% for duration of lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by