What should I be looking for when picking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by achickschirp, Mar 24, 2013.

1. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm wondering what I should look for during picking out my chicks. My dad said to look for one that's up and around but can I have more detail? Thankyou and can you make a list of what to look for? Also fan I have a list of stuff to bring with me for taking them home?

2. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    Don't get the ones that seem to be the easiest to catch. Go for the ones that are quick on their feet. The ones that just stand there and let you pick them up are probably not as active and healthy.

3. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Good advice! Anything else? I will probably be there for awhile, if I'm trying to catch one!

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep an eye out for ill chicks in the bin. If a number of them seem ill there may be a contagious illness in the bin that a chick that seems fine at that moment may develop shortly.

You will need something to keep your chicks in at home if you don't have something already. A plastic bin can work well but don't overcrowd. I don't know how many you are wanting. You will need a heat light and chick starter.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    ok Thankyou that helps!!!!

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I watched the chicks in the bin before I flagged down an employee to make sure they all looked good. He happened to be the manager. I was able to ask for color and he did ask if there was a certain one of the BRs that I wanted since there were only a few of those. The BOs... lots of those, so I got the 3 he was finally able to catch lol

7. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    Sounds like you got some nice healthy chicks! Just keep them warm, well fed them and give plenty of fresh water!

8. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    yup that's what they need!!

9. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Also, twice I have gotten a chick that was smaller than the others, and both have died. I didn't get them because they were easy to catch, but because they stayed in my hand after I caught them. But both of them just didn't do very well from the time I put them in the brooder.

10. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    oh okay!! That's kinda sad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by