What should I be looking for?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by b_eckman, Dec 4, 2009.

1. b_eckman

b_eckman New Egg

Dec 4, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I'm just beginning to plan for chickens and I need some help. I live in North Central Florida in the Gainesville/Ocala area. I know that we have fox, raccoons, possums, and a variety of "domestic" predators. Is there anything else that I should be aware of when I'm building my coop and run?

2. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Owls,Hawks,and snakes. [​IMG]

3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Neighbors and/or feral cats.
    Fire Ants

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Rodents.

5. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    dog and wild pigs not so sure about the wild pigs thou

6. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] There's so many predators out there that it's almost impossible to keep everything out. This is like asking how to understand a woman.[​IMG] It's always a never ending battle and once you think that you know everything, the rules change.
    No one mentioned alligators yet.... it's possible!
    I have a list a mile long of predators in my area. I can't protect them from all predators but compile a list of most threatening and most abundant. This should get you started. [​IMG]

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I think everyone has the list down pat for you...all I can say is do NOT just use chicken wire. It's designed to keep chickens in...not predators out.

My chickens free range during the day, and their coop has a 40x 12 ft. run built out of 2x4 welded wire fencing along with netting across the top (this is for when we go out of town). I lock their coop up in the summer at night, however, during this cold weather, I have a kids swimming pool with a de-icer in it out in the run and leave the back pop hatch open half way for them to go out and get water. I also set a trap every night...this may be something to consider. With the 2x4 welded wire, I can tell you that a cat has to literally ring its' neck to get in or out of that. However, snakes can def. get in there.

I suggest using poultry nails (little u shaped nails) rather than a staple gun for any fencing you decide to use either on the windows, ventilation, or whatever. It is much stronger. Hope that helps.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Could be that you have building code restrictions as to what you can and cannot do. Best look into that first or one phone call by anyone can end up costing you some money and wasted time to boot. [​IMG] I did a 6 ft welded 2 x 4 wire fence set in cement. It also has a fence charger with 4 courses of hot wire all around including the gate. I installed a 2 ft tall roll of chicken wire all around the pen INSIDE at ground level to keep the chickens from poking their heads out. I also do a lockdown at dusk year round. No losses yet. [​IMG] Had a chicken hawk looking over the whole flock one day tho. I have a really big run so do not have any netting overhead. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by