What should I be seeing in my duck egg on day ten?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 29, 2009.

1. So it looks like I only have one viable duck egg left.
    I was impatient and candled early on day 5. I had beautiful tree branch shaped veining in one egg, one egg looked like a blood ring but I left it for a bit, and the other was clear.
    Tonight was day 10 and I decided to take a tiny peek again. The one that was clear on day 5 still looks clear. The one that looked like a blood ring on day 5 has not changed at all.
    The one that had veins in it on day 5 doesn't look like is has veins anymore though... All I can see in it is a dime sized dark spot kinda shrimpy shaped right about mid point of the egg, right under my drawn on X. The spot does not move if you slowly turn the egg over. Is this normal?
    I had a temp spike yesterday morning up to 109 [​IMG]

2. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    One thing just to tell you if you don't know is if you hatch only one duck it will imprint to you so you will have to be a mom to the duck and if it can't see where you are it will yell.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i am not sure but here's a video of a duck egg being candle at day 10

hope this helps [​IMG]

4. I think it's gone but I'll give it a couple more days and check again. It's not moving at all and it looks like it should be at this stage...
    But it does look like it's the same size as the one in that vid Mark. It really makes me wonder if it did die yesterday with the temp spike. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I opened up the other two. The one that looked clear was. The one that looked like a blood ring was indeed a blood ring, looks like something happened VERY early in that one.

Oh well. I've got 18 more waiting to go in. Try, try again right?

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Yup i think it's best to wait a few more days and sorry about the other 2 that didn't make it..

you are right always try again don't give up until you get that cute little yellow cuteness in your hands [​IMG]

6. Quote:Yup i think it's best to wait a few more days and sorry about the other 2 that didn't make it..

you are right always try again don't give up until you get that cute little yellow cuteness in your hands [​IMG]

Brown cuteness Luv! These are Khaki babies remember![​IMG]
    Goodness, and you have my eggs in your bator, I sure hope you weren't expecting yellow ducks to come out of those eggs! LOL [​IMG]
    Thanks for the giggle.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    LOL!!! my bad i have pekin on the brain

*Brown cuteness! [​IMG]

i am sure your gonna get plenty more eggs from your girls so if all fails try again.. i no i am [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by