What should I build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MVchickens, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I have 50 chickens 7 ducks 7 turkeys and 2 geese coming early spring. So what should i build to house them all? I don't have a lot flat land to build a permeant structure, but i have access to neighboring fields. so i was thinking of a couple large chicken tractors that i could move around. i was also thinking of building a shed on skids and using portable fencing panels. what do you guys recommend? any designs or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  3. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
  4. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    well where do you live? i am no expert but the way i would do it is build them on up on a few old utility trailers so you can move them around easy because something that big will not be able to be moved by hand imo. like i said i am no expert and don't even have chickens yet but i am just thinking this would be an easy way [​IMG]

5. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:Thank you, you'd been very helpful to me too. I'm considering all options as they come [​IMG]

6. shadowman

shadowman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    ontario
    The utility trailer is definately the way to go! Old hay trailers are good for a larger sized coop. The beauty of using a trailer is that you can build an actual walk in coop on them. Walk in coops are easier to clean and easier and warmer for feeding your flock in the winter as well as egg collection.

7. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    thanks for the ideas the trailer idea sounds really good to me. I live on Martha's Vineyard, an island of the coast of Massachusetts so it does get relatively cold in the winter(been in the 20's and teen's for a high most of the week). I will definitely be insulate them when time comes to build them. Any ideas for the turkeys? i know they get relatively large......

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you planning on keeping all of them year round or are some going to be raised for meat? Are you planning on breeding any of them? Those activities can effect what you want to do for housing, too.

9. MVchickens

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    they are all going to be egg layers except for the turkeys and geese who will be for pets/meat. I will not be breeding them, just letting them do what they do. I have about 25 acres of field/woods to work with. I cant really free range because i have a large dog/hawk problem. ANY Ideas appreciated.

10. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    if transportability is not huge issue, you could do a type of 'post and beam framing and set up floor joists from there. Also speaking from experience, it is not the greatest idea to build chicken tractors from wood. But then again, maybe I just overbuild. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by