what should I charge for quail eggs (for food)

willow_lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Pennsylvania
Since my quail are laying fairly good right now (no light or anything) I was going to start trying to sell some of the eggs for eating. I have a few local people that are begging me to sell them eggs I am not sure what to charge. My origional thought was 50 cents a dozen but an other friend of mine suggested $1.00 per dozen. That seems kind of high to me. What do you all think?

I too am curious. If you search the internet you can find them as high as $9.00 a dozen. I've seen them elsewhere for as low as $4.00 a dozen. I wonder if people have listed them on Craig's list or Ebay for sale as food, and what price is reasonable.

Quail Eggs are "exotic" to say. You can charge from .25 - .50 an egg. I sell a 1/2 dzn for $3 and a dzn for $5. If someone wants more then a dzn then I charge about $4.50 a dzn.

My chicken eggs go for $3 dzn and no one asks or questions the price especially since they can come an see how my animals are raised.

This time of the year, I just throw them at people. Sometimes they stick.

$2.00 a dozen for coturnix eggs for eating would be choice, but I just give them away.

wow!!! I thought at $1.00 a dozen i was robbing people. I can see higher prices for hatching eggs but not for eating eggs. might have to do some research!!!! farm fresh eggs here cost about $1.00-$1.50 a dozen and thats for jumbo chicken eggs not little dinky cute quail eggs.
hu.gif

Well,I never tamper with other peoples markets.
Drive by here and see if you don't get pelted with dinky little cute quail eggs. Come next spring, it will cost yah.
I'm kidding of course.

Edit follows:
On a serious note. I don't tamper with your market, so please don't tamper with mine.

Last edited:
around here chicken eggs go for $2-2.50 a dozen, duck eggs go for $3.00/dozen...and I haven't tried selling any of my quail eggs. When my gals were cranking I brought quail eggs into my office to give away...

a very hot topic it seems- man I wish I could sell them for the $$$ some other people have seen them for!

a side note- at Kona grill they offer a quail egg on your sushi for $1.00= one dollar for one egg! man wouldn't it be nice to get those type of prices???

I was thinking of trying to sell them for $1.00-$1.50 just as a start...I need to get some cartons!

BTW- anyone sell their eggs to restaurants or open markets? I'd be curious to hear about that!

Back
Top Bottom