What Should I Do About Aggressive Silkie Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iamcuriositycat, Apr 7, 2012.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi guys,

I ended up with only one hen out of a batch of 6 silkie babies. I kept her and one rooster... and he is NASTY and MEAN. He attacks everything in the yard, including my children. They're afraid of him and I'm only not because I don't mind pain, lol. He bites hard and I have broken skin all over my hands from him. I catch him in the mornings and put him in a pen, but he's getting harder to catch (I have to wait for him to attack and even then he dodges away afterward) and anyway, I don't need the hassle.

I need to get rid of him, but I don't want her to be alone, and I'm not willing to give her up.

She's currently sitting on a batch of eggs, of which he is the father. So I have several questions:

1. Since she's on a nest of eggs, will she care if I get rid of him now? Will the eggs & then chicks be company enough if he happens to "mysteriously disappear"?

2. If I get another rooster, will I need to keep him separate from her until the chicks are full grown? How hard will it be to integrate the two?

3. If I DON'T get another rooster, will it be okay to breed her back to one of her babies if I keep a rooster out of the batch?

4. If I keep one of her babies as the rooster, is he likely to be just as mean as his father?

5. Is it even possible to get a non-aggressive silkie rooster? I had read previously that silkie roosters are usually quite docile, but all five of the silkie roosters we had were mean. The one we kept was the nicest one and he's become more and more aggressive.

Please advise! I have had ducks for years, but this is my first year with chickens. Need help. Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you so much! This confirms my feelings on the matter. The funny thing is, these chickens were seriously pampered as babies--I and my three children carried them around constantly, held them, fed them treats by hand. When they moved outdoors, I went out and fed them treats every morning and called them to me and they'd all come RUNNING. The hen is still this way--super sweet and super docile. She gets carried around a lot (when she's not on a nest of eggs). Something happened to the roosters, though--they all went aggressive. They were from Ideal Poultry--poor breeding, perhaps?

Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and get rid of him and then also any male offspring, and replace him after the babies are near maturity with an unrelated, proven friendly adult male.

Thanks!

4. wrwrchicken

wrwrchicken New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    The best tool for catching hens and roosters is a good old fashioned " dip net ". Which may be purchased at your areas
    WalMart in the fishing supply section.............................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by