WHAT SHOULD I DO AND WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks and Hens, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    [​IMG]
    PLEASE HELP!!

2. Chicks and Hens

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    this is his bottom sorry its upside down

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I can't see the vent very well in the photo, but it looks like he was pecked in that area. Is it bleeding right now? I would attempt to clean it with warm, soapy water, and then take a closer look.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. Isolate her from the other birds to prevent any more picking until it is healed.

5. Chicks and Hens

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    2 of my chickens are VERY aggressive. they go for eyes noses and under feathers. do you think they are really hurting her badly? Oh one more thing there is a blockage there. That is the white stuff. she cant poop and she is being weird. I thought it is a egg but it dfinitly isnt. what should I do now. I pulled some stuff out of it but i dont know. sorry i am typing with one hand the other is holding poor Buff

6. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Give her bottom a good soak in warm water and wash the area with mild soap that take a few photos and post them. If you live somewhere cold she will have to stay indoors until she is dry. Mine like to be blow dried (and yes, I know, they are spoiled!).

Can she be separated until she heals?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It appears that he is constipated, and possibly has had a prolapsed vent recently. I would give him some applesauce, and probiotics or yogurt. Here is a recent thread where they treated with Nystatin, an antifungal medication, that may have similarities: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/768209/poop-plug-yuck

8. Chicks and Hens

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    I don't really have the supplies and room for separating so I would prefer not to. But I will try the others. I actually CAN NOT give them a bath. It is just SO cold here! I live in Utah and there is at least 2 inches of snow. And pet rules for my family is no pets inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by