What should i Do!!! Egg Situation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GAChknGirl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    My Crested duck is laying an egg everyday i left them in her nest to see if she would sit on them. these are her first eggs! there are 15 of them today she covered them all up with the nesting material (pine straw & hay) should i wait and she if she sits on them or take them out??

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well they arent good for eating anymore so id say let her try to set. I let my girls keep their first eggs to set on , then take the eggs after their first set of eggs and keep them, then let them try to set again after I think they have recooperated.

3. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:So i should take them when?? and do u think she will sit?? and hatch any or no?/ just curious

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Let her keep them and see what she does with them. I mean if you take them the best you can do is put them in a bator or toss them out.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    This is what I would do. Mark the ones she has now with an X. Everyday she lays number the new ones 1,2,3 and so on and remove one of the older ones marked with an X with each new one she has. I can't imagine she will be able to set on more than 15 successfully so this way you give her the best chance by leaving the freshest eggs in the nest.

In the future when she lays again start right away with the eggs and numbering.

Also I would probably candle the eggs she has now and toss out(or hard boil and feed back to your ducks/chickens/dogs)3 or 4 of the oldest ones(these should be the ones with the largest air cells)

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    What breed is she? a Crested what? My magpie sat on 20 eggs just this past time and 16 hached out successfully , 2 were smothered, and 2 were duds.

7. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Wow Goat walker thats a lot...My scovy hen hatched out 19 this year(one clutch, I think she hatched 10 in her second!). But she needs to mark the eggs if the duck doesn't go broody, then she could have 35 eggs in there and then which ones do you remove( don't ask how I know and trust me I didn't just make up the number 35 [​IMG] I would be doubtfull a 35 day old egg would hatch(although stranger things have happened [​IMG]

8. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:here is a picture i honestly have no idea.. we got her as a chick

[​IMG]

9. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    How many do they normally lay before sitting

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    She is so pretty!! Mallard mix maybe? I would think she would set about 12 1 eggs before going broody

( Im looking for the dry hatch post, lol )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by