What should i do? HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FirstDuckling, May 5, 2017.

1. FirstDuckling

FirstDuckling New Egg

May 5, 2017
    What should I do about one of my eggs its hatching only leg sticking out. The mother pushed it out twice i tried putting it back with her she pecked I thought she was trying help it hatch then she grabbed its leg and was swinging it? Should I let her be or keep the egg away from her? Its still alive moves its leg. [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I answered on the thread you posted in the Emergencies section. There you didn't state you were sure it was still alive, so now that I know it is indeed alive, you need to get it into an incubator ASAP and not give it back to the hen. Then, we will need more pictures of the damaged area to try to assess if the yolk sac has been damaged and what we're working with.

What day of incubation is this egg on?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. FirstDuckling

FirstDuckling New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Its muscovy duck. Its 33 days

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You'll need to get it into an incubator ASAP. Get the temp to 99.5 if forced air, 101.5 if still air. Get the humidity up to about 70%. And get some pictures of the damaged area so we can see what's going on in there. Hopefully the yolk sac is not damaged or ruptured.

Also if it is still bleeding, take a paper towel and apply very gentle pressure to the bleeding areas until the bleeding stops. Be careful not to use too much pressure and damage the shell further.

5. FirstDuckling

FirstDuckling New Egg

May 5, 2017
    I dont see any where its bleeding just dried blood

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

It's good that it's no longer bleeding. Have you gotten it into an incubator?

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    My thoughts -- its possible that the momma hen knew something was wrong with this duckling, they have instincts, so be prepared that if it survives, it might not be "right". Hoping that's not the case, but I had to throw it out there.

I agree with Pyxis, I'd get it into an incubator, or at least inside in a very warm, humid environment.

From the part of the shell that is removed, you should be able to see the duckling's belly. Is there still yolk?? I'd try chipping some of the shell away, get it cleaned up as best as you can, and better assess the damage and condition. Try to find the head and free the bill so it can breathe, even if you have to chip away most of one side of the shell. Watch for active blood vessels, and try not to rip any. Use water, Vaseline, coconut oil to moisten the membranes as you go.

Best of luck to you and this little duckling!!

8. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    I had one thrown out of the nest like this too, years ago. We were never sure why the hen threw it out, and I hatched it myself. It seemed fine, but died about a week later from eating something bad -we had wood pellets around the brooder we were keeping it in, and we expect it thought these were food and died from eating them, as did the other duckling we had. It was very sad.

Anyway, that egg needs to be warmed up -put in an incubator, or even put under a lamp will do- and then you need to check the yolk. Is it absorbed? has it been punctured? In either case, you can probably remove the rest of the shell from the duckling at this point as long as it does not cause bleeding, as that duck will never be able to "pip and zip" with its leg hanging out like that. That will also help to ensure a clear airway for the duckling.
    If the yolk has been punctured -I had a duck like this once, she was pecked out of her shell by chickens and they pecked the yolk too- you'll need to remove the remains of it, stop the bleeding, and make sure the duck's intestines are in the body and remain there. With mine, all I had to do for this was remove the yolk and stop the bleeding, then place the bit of intestine that was outside -looked a bit like a looped earthworm- back in through the hole in the belly and hold it there for a few minutes. I then put the duck back in its incubator to rest, and began offering food and water the next day to make up for the lack of yolk. That duck survived to grow into an adult duck, and I hope yours does too.
    How is it doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by