What should I do???HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyliesmommax5, May 17, 2009.

1. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ok I have a BO rooster that is 4 wks old, almost 5. And when I went out to feed today and let them out, I noticed that he has a broken leg! (at least I think that its broken). What do you think that I should do with it? He can still walk(for now). Is there any way I can fix it? Should I cull him? I was planning on keeping him as my roo but now hell prolly be a meat bird(if he lives that long). So what do ya think??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    you could make a splint with popsicle sticks maybe?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Splint it and seperate him to a smal area where he will not do much walking.

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If he can walk its probably not an injury but a deformity. Last year I had a buff cochin banty with its leg stuck out to the side and he could walk. He would stumble some what but he was happy. If the leg will bend right try and splint it to see if you can fix the problem and good luck [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be a slipped tendon. Had a BR cockerel develop one at about four weeks old. Didn't try to fix it, just culled the little guy.

6. kyliesmommax5

Apr 17, 2009
    Quote:No it isnt a deformity. I would have noticed before, They were in the house up until 2 weeks ago...

7. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think those things can develop. I didnt notice the bad leg on mine, for a few weeks, either. So I figure it just developed over time because of genetics or something [​IMG] But if its broken the bird would not be able to walk.

8. kyliesmommax5

Apr 17, 2009
    Quote:I guess I didnt know that they could develop deformities. Guess that might be it...I donno...Thanks

9. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'd cull him

10. kyliesmommax5

Apr 17, 2009
    Quote:Thats what my hubby wants to do. But I would like to give the lil guy a chance if I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by