what should I do???? HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have a broody hen( Silver Laced Wyandotte) sitting on 5 eggs....it is day 18 tomorrow. What I need advice for is...she is in a nesting box that is about 1 and a half to 2 feet above the wooden floor(covered in hay).Anyway, she is a really nasty hen,as in no one can get near her to move her and the eggs. I have tried. I wanted to put her and the eggs in a nest I made just for her, in a dog kennel. I can't even get my hands near her, she is always facing the opening of the nesting box and puffs up, makes hissing noises and pecks furiously(it hurts too [​IMG] ). The nesting box she is in ,I know, is too high up for the chicks to jump out of without getting hurt(I know there will be chicks,a couple of days ago she left the nest to stretch and eat etc. and I checked on the eggs, one was smashed on one side, and I knew it couldn't survive,so I opened it a bit more and there was a baby chick,developing fine in it ......when I tossed it ,the baby was moving slighly,but there was nothing I could do. The egg was damaged way too much and the chick was dieing,poor little thing [​IMG] .There was lots of liquid and yolk coming out along with blood)
    Anyway, I'm getting off track here. What should I do? I am worried for the safety of the chicks.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try moving her at night when she is more calm...thats when I move my Broodies...wear gloves if you have too...

3. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I'm just a novice at this but could you put lots of shavings or straw underneath on the floor so when they fall out they won't get hurt? Then just keep an eye out and put them in a warmer when they are out?

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Oh I have tried the night thing...she won't hear of it,do of it or anything.....I think she is possessed. lol...Her name is "Ms. Dottie". I think I might try her again tonight. I'll wear my dh work gloves, they just might minimize the blows from her pecks...ouch! Should I close the door on the kennel for the night and then open it in the morning? or leave it open?

5. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    One of my broody hens is the same way! I have a fishing net that I put over her when I moved her because she will fly in my face if I get down near her. I layed the net over her and reached under her with my GLOVED hand to support her, being careful not to hurt the eggs. I moved her and then moved the eggs. I did this at night so she would be more likely not to attack me lol!

6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Did she stay on the new nest? I am worried about her getting upset in the morning too, if she is in the kennel, I have 24 six and a half week old chicks that are running around in the coop too. Oh boy.
    Along with 11 nine and a half week olds and 16( including rooster and another broody) adults. They are free range, but the 24 young ones haven't dared to leave the coop, as of yet.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep my broodys in a wire dog crate and do not let them out til the hatch is finished...my crate is big enough and they have room for a feeder, waterer, nest box and a place to get up to poo....

Just got to get a good grip on the broody, mine are never that mean...hold her tight and just move her and the nest box...

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    When my broody was hatching, and our nest box is way high off the floor........we boarded off the front to keep the chicks from falling out. I have tried moving them and i think she could abandon them. Mine did, she kept going back to where she was. By the time the chicks were able to fly up and out of the box, the mom followed them (thank god)

here is a before and after pic. It was nothing special, but it worked well

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

9. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    I may be wrong here but I think you should let nature take it's course.
    Good luck.
    I hope all goes well.

10. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I had good luck with her. She never offered to leave the eggs after I moved her. I just watched her and made sure she went back if she got up to eat or take a break. Make sure that you only offer that one spot for her to nest too. I have had broody's (not the mean one that I use the net with) that when moved to somewhere there was more than one place made to nest, they went to the other nest rather than the one with the eggs! I had to move the eggs to her! Just make sure you have only one nest for her to choose! I had seen mine actually roll their eggs where they wanted them! Chickens can be weird sometimes!!

edited to add: I like Lurky's idea too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by