1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should I do? I NEED HELP for Pearl!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaHynne, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MamaHynne

MamaHynne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    My White Wyandotte pullet "Pearl" has had bouts with the bubbly eyes/runny nose associated with CRD in the past. Since she was last sick, I treated her with Tylan 50 (.5cc x day for 7 days), she hasn't really grown as quickly as the other birds of the same age. She's very petite, and her coloring in her face isn't red--it's light pink, barely pink at that. She looks anemic.

We've been having 100 degree heat with the index around 110, mixed with smoke (from fires in south Georgia) and regular Florida humidity making the air quality in the negative. I'm keeping the coop/pen well ventillated with fans. Pearl is showing signs of distress. Just yesterday, I found her in the far corner of the pen, sleeping, gasping and not even startling when I touched her. It was when I picked her up that she snapped out of her sleepy state and began to fight being held. She ran around, ate some of the treats I'd previously tossed out and seemed to be back to normal.
    This evening, once again I came out to give treats, and there she was---sleeping with her head tucked under her wing, unresponsive to my talking to her, calling her name, etc. It took me, clapping my hands rather loudly to awaken her. This time, her eyes were watery and her beak was wet with a clear slime. She ate some treats, but she was shaking her head a lot--obviously bothered by her eyes and nose. She also smells foul, for lack of a better word--deadish even.

Because I love her, I want to fix her, but know I'm fighting a chronic illness. My instinct is to bring her inside, isolate her, treat her again with the Tylan 50 and see if that helps. It's my fear however, is that this disease will become resistant to the Tylan50 and will develop as a superbug in my other birds in the future. All of my birds have been exposed to Pearl's illness from the beginning and none are symptomatic.

So here's the hard questions: Do I let the disease run it's course and do nothing? Do I follow my first instinct and abandon all logic? Do I euthanize Pearl to keep her from suffering any more than she already is?

I would really appreciate your honest opinion/experienced answers. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just need help making the right choice.

Thank you in advance,
    Ashleigh

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:What do you mean by folllow my first instinct and abandon all logic?

3. MamaHynne

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    Sorry, I meant to bring her in, and treat her again even though the summer is going to continue to be extreme and her illness is chronic.

And keeping her inside through the summer is NOT an option. My husband won't tolerate it.

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Quote:Do what you feel is right. Your the one who has to live with the decision. [​IMG]

Makes me glad I'm single again and can do what I dang well please lol. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:O the hard questions I'd say #1and 3 are your only options, now you love her, try to see it as what would be best for Pearl, what is her quality of life like now and will it get better or worse? and you have to think about the rest of your flock also.

6. MamaHynne

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Pearl.

I honestly don't know what's best. I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me. (If that make any sense.)

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:She is beautiful, but we can't make that decision for you, but I will say that I have had to put some of my birds down because of sickness, it's not easy but was the best thing for them and the flock.

8. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh she's so beautiful!
    I really wouldn't give up on her yet! Bring her in, give her ACV and her favourite treats and get some denagard! Different antibiotics work best on different things! Treat her like you would yourself with flu - warmth, lots of fluid, maybe a little aspirin & lots of rest.

I went through a very similar thing with one of my girls, and it did make her a little late to mature into egg laying by a few weeks. However, once she hit 'adulthood' she's been in great health, & I came to the conclusion that growing & fighting the infection at the same time had just been a bit much!

If she's already been in with the rest, you've got nothing to lose by trying [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Could her eyes and nose be running because her body is reacting to the smoke in the air? If she was having trouble breathing that would make her tired due to the lack of oxygen she can absorb.

Individual birds react to smoke differently. When there were bushfires near my house (we ended up evacuating kind of close) I had two finches just drop dead, the rest of the finches were fine, happy and looking completely normal, and had been exposed to the same conditions same age. Needless to say I brought all my birds inside the house after that, budgies, quail, chooks, turq's, bourkes, and cockatiels. I figured that they told asthmatics like me to stay indoors so I though it would be safer for my feathered babies too.

So maybe bring her inside a few days, the air quality should be better in the house. See if she improves any. Also take her into the bathroom when you have a hot shower, the steam will help her breathe easier.

10. MamaHynne

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    Thank you all for your input. We've had a good night's and this afternoon's rain which has helped with the heat/air quality. Pear has perked up, is eating and acting almost like her old self. I guess she's always gonna have special needs due to the CRD symptoms she exhibits off and on. She doesn't seem to be suffering, so I'm gonna just see how she does. If she looks like she's in distresas again, I'll bring her inisde and give her the TLC she deserves.

My husband has been raised on a farm, so putting animals down is not that big of a deal to him. I've named all our cows and chickens, so I am attached. I must admit though, he hates to see any animal suffer and is more reluctant over the years to put them down without a shred of doubt that they'll recover.

I certainly appreciate all of you offering suppport and information. Means so much it truly does. [​IMG]

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    May your flocka and families be well,
    Ashleigh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by