1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What should I do - joining chicks with flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckySam, Nov 6, 2010.

1. CluckySam

CluckySam In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi everyone,

We have 8 eggs (Australorp) under a broody Hamburg, which are due to hatch in the next few days. She did not lay them - we purchased fertile eggs. She has done a fantastic job sitting on the eggs (first time hatch for her - and us!!) and we have kept her in a blocked off part of the coop, so the big-bottomed Barnevelders leave her in peace, rather than sitting on top of her to lay their eggs. She is very protective of the eggs, and will peck (drawing blood) if I go near her in the box, however she is in the bottom of the pecking order of our 5 chooks (3 Barnevelders and 2 Hamburgs altogether). Assuming some of the eggs hatch, should we let her raise the chicks separately from the other hens, or will the chicks be ok to mix with the grown up girls (about a year old) from a youngish age (and if so, what sort of age would you recommend?) We can keep the 'nursery section' blocked off for the babies if needs be.

Thanks for any advice! I'll post pics if we get some chicks![​IMG]

Sam

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'll want to let her raise the chicks separate from the other girls. The other girls may try to harm or injure the chicks.

3. CluckySam

CluckySam In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for your reply Mahonri. I can hear a few peeps this morning [​IMG] , so with any luck we'll have some fluff balls in the next day or two! [​IMG] I'm so excited!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by