1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what should i do? lump under right ear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karajo, Sep 21, 2011.

1. karajo

karajo New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    our favorite chicken, charlie, has a lump under her right ear. i just noticed it this morning. she's acting fine but she sounds a little different then normal. i've been checking the forums and a suspect a sinus infection. it's round, solid but semi-firm, kind of like a small grape under the skin. i've read of people giving their chickens antibiotics. do they sell that over the counter? isn't that like contraband? what dosage should i give her?

please look at my photo's of her. you'll see there is quite a difference between her right and left sides. thank you in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a chicken named Charlie too! Sorry can't help with this one, good luck.[​IMG] So sorry to hear.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    i've read of people giving their chickens antibiotics. do they sell that over the counter?
    I get mine at my local feed store and I put it in their water or take her to the vets and get some there

isn't that like contraband? umm no I don't think so ? what do you mean

what dosage should i give her? It should tell you on the package or the vet will let you know

Good luck and [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. karajo

karajo New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    cat1994 - i just meant, that i thought antibiotics were a controlled substance, needing a prescription not over the counter. thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by