What should I do. Momma & babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tinakevin, Aug 22, 2016.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    My baby chicks r 6 1/2 weeks old it seems like momma hen is done raising them. She has already started laying again and seems to leave them to them selves unless there is danger then she protects them she also wants to go up to the roost with her sisters so I put her back with her sisters and I put the babies in their coop but the babies were chirping and looking for momma so I went back and got her and put her back with the babies. Was this the right thing to do or should I just let momma go back to her sisters.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Six weeks is old enough for your chicks to be weaned from their broody. And the hen is obviously no longer broody, so she is inclined to resume her own life. I would let her do that. The babies will quickly adjust. Just ignore the complaining.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If I am translating your post correctly, you have you a separate coop for the chicks and momma? If you have been letting momma and the chicks mix with the rest of the flock during the day time already, then I'd suggest putting the chicks in the main coop on an evening (or just letting them follow momma) - they will fly up to the roost to sleep with mum.

CT

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is your coop big enough to accommodate the babies now? And when they are full grown? Chickens should have 4 sq. ft./bird in the coop, and 10 - 12" of perch space/ bird. If you don't have that much room, you may want to consider getting rid of some birds.

5. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop
    I agree!

6. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Can you just make room if you don't have it to put the mom and her chicks with the sisters in that coop? It would be easier that way I would think, just put them in a coop all together. So then mama will be with her sisters and babies and be happy.

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Yes we built a 16x8 coop. So I put momma and babies in there but because I don't have the best built yet ( hubby is doing that this weekend) I didn't transfer the other to it yet. I also have 6 other 5 month olds that I have to integrate with them. So basically I have 2 separate coops right now and I'm hoping to get them all in the same coop but with a wired wall between the new ones and the older ones. I just didn't want to put the babies in the old coop if I didn't have to. But thanks to your all advise I decided to put momma in with her sisters at night and then put the babies in the new coop where they r used to sleeping and until Saturday I will just put the babies in the run with momma during the day. Thank u all so much

8. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Sounds good, Good luck!

9. RedSky1

RedSky1 Out Of The Brooder

Question when do you put babies with rest of flock?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by