What should I do..not sure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have a total of 14 chicks few days old # 14 little on runt side and and small legs were weak but all better now so kept separate couple days from others for so small and was lame at time but now today I tried putting in for little while with other chicks in brooder pen and it right away started pecking on all the other chicks..so back to its on broody pen it went so I thought would just take one of he smaller ones out of the broody with 13 in with it and still pecking on the other chick..I was afraid they would peck on it but it is other way around.

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    The bird ainʻt right. What I mean is that it has a developmental problem and may even be in pain. When confronted by other chicks, it gets defensive and starts to attack before they can gang up on it. Sounds like a prison movie, doesnʻt it.

Bottom line is that it will never fit in and probably will never develop fully. Give it a little more time and then decide if you want to keep it or cull it.

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I want it with the batch it hatched with, I may be wrong but I am thinking of leaving the chick with them so everyone gets use to one another..I have noticed others peck at each other so hope once it is use to them it will calm down some..what does anyone think??

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would put them all together. They will figure out the pecking order on there own. Mother nature has a way of handling these things and we may get in the way sometimes.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. If they're not drawing blood let them sort it out. They have to work out their pecking order and human interference is only going to delay that process.
    Please be sure your little runt is not denied access to food and water. That's what my larger chicks did to my runt. A good argument for always having two feeders and waterers available, no matter the flock size.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Its probably a roo.

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Yes about an hour ago I decided to just put it in with all and say heck with it ..it is pretty calm in there now and it is getting food and water..maybe by morning all will be smoothed out with them all.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not necessarily. My meanest chick also was tough enough to survive a trip in the dog's mouth.
    She has remained my bossiest hen.

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG] Update..after putting the runt chick that was little lame and not anymore in with all the others overnite...this morning all is fine..it is not be aggressive toward others any longer or them to it.. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Glad to hear everything's okay. They usually work it out. We just have to let them do it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by