What should I do once the chicks hatch?

jenfork

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Northern NJ
This is my first time hatching. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. There is very little room in there. Do the chicks still stay in there for 24-48 hrs, after hatching? I not sure if they would be able to even stand up.

Quote:
Jen,

The babies will be fine for at least 24-48 hours-the yolk sacs they absorb into their bellies keep them well nourished and not dehydrated. You have a great little bator-your right they cannot move very much, but they will be fine-the olive egger chicks will be fat and fluffy and you wouldn't want to take them out until they dried anyway which takes a good day or so. Once they start hatching it's only a short amount of time between when they should all hatch-so after 24 hours I would pull all out that hatched and pull all broken eggs out and quickly close the bator to let the others hatch out. Sometimes, it the chirping of one chick that gets the ball rolling for the others to start to pip and join their brosd/sis's:)
thumbsup.gif
Just dont get tempted to open bator to "help" when it starts-they will be fine =-even a chick that has pipped for HOURS-if it is meant to be and they are healthy and strong they can do it on their own:)

Last edited:
You can remove them periodically - Brinsea says every six hours for the Eco and there should be similar directions for the Mini. The "never open the top until all are hatched" directions are for the styrofoam incubators, which are giant boxes and have a ton of air to get wet again when you open them. The Brinseas are small like that on purpose - little head room means the humidity can rise quickly after they've been opened.

You play with them and tell them just how cute they are
love.gif
if you have kids they like to ride in trains,cars just don't let them fall.As far as the hatching goes I don't follow any of the rules and have near perfect hatch rates..
Deep breath go Christmas shopping drink some eggnog-your first hatch maybe add something to that eggnog
lol.png
they will be here for Christmas
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom