WHAT SHOULD I DO?? ***UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mollyy, May 6, 2009.

1. Mollyy

Mollyy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    My duck was due on Sunday and finally pipped yesterday. He has not made much progress though. At what point should I step in and try to help him out? He is now 3 days overdue and I'm scared that he wont make it out! I can hear him peeping and pecking at the shell but the crack is only about 1/2 inch long. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you can figure a way to JUST crack the shell a little and add some moisture, it should be OK. Only as a last thing to do, do you want to help it out. More chicks are hurt doing this than are helped. If it comes down to having to help, do it slowly and carefully. Have a small bowl of water handy for you will need to keep the area moist or you could cause the chick to bleed. Good luck.

3. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    Wow! I know how that feels! I have two that started peeping last night and all they have this morning is a little star in the shell where they are trying to get out. I am wondering how long to wait too!

I'm trying to remember that a "Due date" is just a guess. Some go early and some go late. All three of my kids were over a week and a 1/2 late. So I guess my chickens are following the same path. Try to let them be...it's important for them to break out. Part of the process. I feel helpless right now, but I'd feel worse knowing that they didn't make it because I got in the way. Hang in there![​IMG]

4. Mollyy

Mar 29, 2009
    he pipped through yesterday morning around 9am. I was hoping to wake up to a new baby this morning and the crack hasn't really progressed much! How long does it normally take to hatch once they have pipped? He is still moving

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If he's pipped he has air, mist the bator, around noon see if you can just use a pair of tweezers to open it right where he's at and give a bit more opening. Any bleeding means he's not ready. Mist before you close it up again. Let us know then what you see. As long as he's pipped he can breathe.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't know about ducks, but my last hatch I had one that pipped and did not hatch for 28 hours. He didn't even begin to zip until about 26 hours. I'd think ducks could take longer? It's really best to let nature take its course...good luck, I know how hard it is to resist helping, but it's typically not the best thing to do. I'm sure he'll be out in no time, and hopefully, you'll post lots of pics! [​IMG]

7. Mollyy

Mar 29, 2009
    UPDATE** I've been checking on this little guy all day long.. He still hasn't made any progress and he pipped yesterday morning. I can see through a very small crack that he looks like he is breathing rapidly. What should I do? Do I help? Or just wait and see? I'm starting to get very nervous for this little guy!! [​IMG]

8. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Are you spraying the eggs with warm water?

9. Mollyy

Mar 29, 2009
    I've been misting the egg...

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Go up to the hatching thread and read the instructions on helping. Go in small slow stages if you decide to. Many people harm them hatching them before they're ready.

Be careful, go slow be thoughtful. Good luck./

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by