what should i do when one of my chicks is being mean to the others!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by applebutter14, Feb 8, 2015.

1. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    I have a barred rock chick who is being mean to the other chicks... she grabs them by the toes and drags them around by the toe's and she wont let go. I have a red heat lamp and I just don't know what to do, I cant separate them so I am just worried.[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A little more information will help us offer suggestions for your situation. How many chicks, total, are you brooding? What breed(s) are the birds? How old are the chicks at this point? What size brooder are they in?

3. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    If they're not doing damage to each I let it go as I understand they have to establish their 'pecking' order...If they're doing damage, we have to separate them, we tried making them stand in the corner, didn't work, tried making them go to bed without mealworms, didn't work, tried pointing in their face and telling them how bad they are, but they just looked back with their adorable eyes wondering when I was going to give them mealworms...Nothing but separation worked...

4. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    I have 12 chicks, the breeds are Sumatra, barred rock, cochin, salmon faverolles, polish, new Hampshire red, golden laced and silver laced Wyandotte, dark cornish, and a hamburg. im not quite sure the size of the brooder..i do know it is big enough for them, and the chicks are about 3-4 days old.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I typically have a couple of toe pullers and eye peckers in every batch of chicks I brood. Chicks explore their world with their beaks, and they'll peck and pull at just about anything that grabs their attention.
    I agree with the above post, if there isn't any damage being done, leave them to it. They'll get over it eventually and find other things to peck. You might consider putting a clump of sod into the brooder to divert that negative behavior to something else. Or maybe a pan of dirt or a baby flock block. If you add the flock block, be sure to supply grit (which can be a pan of dirt, which they kick through and dust themselves in as well).

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    Try putting some larger size shinny marbles in the bedding. They like to peck at shinny things. I have also hung suit blocks in brooders, but maybe not for peeps that young. Give them things to do.....satisfy their curiosity and entertain them. Maybe little tiny laptops or something....lol

Just make sure no blood is drawn. If that happens remove the victim immediately! They will all be drawn to the blood and peck it to death.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. Hmmm? I have that problem now. lol! Didn't think they can get that mean. Thinking of putting a divider in my brooder. I just got one that does this. they are only day 3 right now.

8. HickoryHollow

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    I have had good luck with 2 things in the past if blood gets drawn.

#1 apply blue coat. It covers the red, prevents infection and they others leave it alone.
    #2 lol....here goes it is quite controversial in here...but the old timers swear by it. I have used this and NEVER had a problem. Put Vicks on the wound. The others hate the taste and leave it alone.

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I made a little box out of 1/2 hardware cloth, about 8" x 6" x 6" high, open on the 'bottom' and put it over the mean chick to seclude it from pecking without taking it out of the brooder. A few timeouts for an hour or so seemed to do the trick.

10. HickoryHollow

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    That's pretty funny that "timeouts" work for peeps.................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by