What should I do with my 2 roosters?!??! Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattsiewrt94, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really like my 2 rooster but they are all for the Rhode Island Red rooster and not the barred rock rooster. But the barred rock is always raping them and I feel that my rhode island hen in the picture is not leaving the coop because every time I see her come out she gets raped or he chases I don't really wanna get rid of him but if I have to then I have to, my barred rock I got when it was a pullet and I thought it was a hen but turned out it was a rooster so they didn't fight but he's mature know crowing and all that and they don't fight only when he try's to rap them or something I wanted to see if I could get him some hens or something but they will just go to the red rooster they free range and they sleep in the barn but that one hen will not leave

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She's probably his favorite.
    How many hens?
    It would take about 20 or more hens to keep 2 roosters busy.
    I know it looks like rape but that is chicken mating 101.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I wouldn't like, or want to keep a nuisance rooster that disrupted my flock. He'll probably chill out as he gets older, if he doesn't rap the red hen to death in the meanwhile.

4. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    No there not mating I mean he chases her around and the hen try's to run away but he just grabs the back if her neck and mates

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You just described chicken mating.
    They don't make love.
    Have you ever seen horses do the deed?
    These are not higher animals.

You need more hens or fewer roosters.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    I know they don't make love and I know how they mate all I'm saying is with the red rooster all the hens will just lay down let him get on them but the barred rock rooster puts his wings down chases them and the hen try's to get away but he gets them. And it's not just that sometimes he just starts pecking them in the back of the head and tried killing idk what to do with it

7. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    I think I'm gonna just sell him I can't get more hens now maybe summer but he's just aggressive just to the hens he don't mess with the other rooster

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    He's apparently the subordinate rooster and trying to establish some sort of dominance with that hen. You are right - you're best off getting rid of him because you have too many roosters for your flock. Regardless of what it looks like, it's not "rape". It's just one more rooster breeding your hen. He just has to go about it in a more aggressive way since she won't submit. Rape is a human thing only. Animals mate for the sole purpose of reproducing. Rape is not mating. It's a psychologically and physically damaging act of violence against another human being. It's done to humiliate and degrade a person. Chickens don't have that capacity. They mate. That's it.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well put.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Again - he's just trying to establish dominance over the hens. Sell him, eat him, give him away. Give your hens some peace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by