What should I do with my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blue fire, May 2, 2007.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have 2 RIR chicks, 1 barred rock, and 1 buff orpington and all of them are 2 and a half weeks old. Every time I pull up their newspaper and try to replace it with shavings they eat it! I realy don't want them to get sick from eating shavings, but I can't leave them on the newspaper! What should I do!?

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    hey mate...im new here and have no chickens yet!!!!! they are arriving tomorrow...but from what i have gathered from reading on this site, put the shavings under a layer of papertowels.

3. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have tried that but they scratch it out from under the paper. I guess I need to be more patient with them. This is the first time I have ever raised chicks so I worry more than I should.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Pull up the paper and let them pick and eat the shavings. They will quit - mine did. (I also have buffs and barred rocks - they are 8 weeks old now) Just make sure they have plenty of food. You might want to add just a little sand in a separate dish too - they can use that as grit. They will be o.k. [​IMG]

5. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks! I was a little worried that I might need to wait soo much longer to switch them to shavings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by