What should I do. with my drake

chickenonahill1

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Hey everyone. I'm new with ducks and chickens and around Easter we bought four ducks from TSC. The ducks are were not sexed I knew I had two Perkins and after they got a little older I learned I also had a Rouen and a Blue Swedish. I was praying they were all girls because I really want eggs. But now I have come to find out the my Rouen's head is turning green and he has the drake feather. Now my question is what should I do with him, Currently he is in a pen with my three other girls. Is it unsafe to keep him there. When I do get eggs is there a chance they will be fertilized. If you could help me that would be great.

Thanks a lot

As long as the other 3 are indeed girls, you should be fine with just one drake in the mix.
You will likely get fertilized eggs. Just collect daily and use as normal. If somebody decides to go broody on a nest of eggs, they could develop and hatch.

Hey everyone. I'm new with ducks and chickens and around Easter we bought four ducks from TSC. The ducks are were not sexed I knew I had two Perkins and after they got a little older I learned I also had a Rouen and a Blue Swedish. I was praying they were all girls because I really want eggs. But now I have come to find out the my Rouen's head is turning green and he has the drake feather. Now my question is what should I do with him, Currently he is in a pen with my three other girls. Is it unsafe to keep him there. When I do get eggs is there a chance they will be fertilized. If you could help me that would be great.

Thanks a lot
If you have a drake and 3 females you have a great ratio of drake to ducks. He will fertilize their eggs yes but you don't have to incubate them eat them give them away bake with them.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom