1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catsthemusical, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Catsthemusical

Catsthemusical Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Hello my name is Tina and recently one of my silkies was attacked by a racoon! I know the odds of her surviving are pretty slim. Her skin is gone from her jaw to the end of her neck, she seem like she is able to breathe fine though. I gave her some pain medicine and I think that has helped her a little. She actually seems to have been improving from when she was attacked, she seems a bit more lively if you shall say. This never happened to any of my chickens before, and have heard about this happening to other chickens before. They have all just put their chickens out of misery, I don't want her to suffer but I also do not want to take her to the vet and spend $100 on just putting her sleep when, I could possibly just nurse her pack to health. Also people have to just cut off her head and get it done with fast, but that just seems so darn cruel ! If any of you chicken owners out there have had this happen to you before please leave me a comment telling me what you did. Thank you.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

probably the best thing you can do is keep her separate from the other chickens, keep the wound clean, and be watching for infection

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she able to eat, drink, move, stand?
    Can you post some photos?

4. Catsthemusical

Jun 6, 2016
    Yes, she can eat, drink, but she can't stand. I will send photos soon !

5. Catsthemusical

Jun 6, 2016
    Ok, thank you.

6. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    I am sorry[​IMG]
    My dogs got to the coop and killed 6/7 chicks (lucky) we later named her had a broken leg and deep wounds we put some neosporin on it and electrolytes in water. I hope for the best.

7. Catsthemusical

Jun 6, 2016
    I'm sorry to say but she didn't survive :(:(. Thank you for the support :(

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

9. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i am so sorry! do you know how the raccoon got her? if you know how the coon got in the run or coop or wherever it was you can work on making it so something like this doesn't happen again

10. Catsthemusical

Jun 6, 2016
    Thanks . I think that the flap where we collect eggs was open

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by