What should I do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iloveducks2, Jun 22, 2016.

1. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Hi- I had two ducks, a white Pekin named Summer and a Swedish blue named Misty. The plan was that we would raise them for a couple of months so we could experience what it's like to have a duck, then we would give them to a farmer (we would find one who doesn't eat them!) Misty and Summer grew up to be beautiful healthy ducks who are now 3 months old. But A few days ago Misty somehow got into my pool and died in it. It was so awful! We don't know what to do now. Summer was so close with Misty, like two peas in a pod, and now she is so sad about Misty. What should we do now? Should we get another duck and give summer time to get close to that new duck then take them to a farm or try to find a farm that already has ducks so she can get used to them at the farm. I want Summer to grow up on a big open farm where she can free roam during the day cause the place she is staying now isn't as big as I would like it to be for her. I really don't know what to do now!!! I'm so lost-
    I'm freaking out!!

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I wouldn't freak out over it. There are a lot of worse things that can happen in life, believe me. I'd just give the one duck you have now to someone who could give her a good home since you didn't intend on keeping them anyway. If you wanted to raise and keep them I'd get a replacement. Anytime you take the responsibility of raising animals you're also exposing yourself to problems and all sorts of things that can go wrong like what you experienced. That's part of being a good animal caretaker. I don't think I've ever met anyone that raised chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, etc. that didn't have one tragedy or another to contend with - it just goes with the territory.

3. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Thank u so much that really helped! I live in Glendale, AZ- does anyone have any suggestions of a good home for summer?

4. iloveducks2

iloveducks2 Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016

Hey just wanted to let u know that I found my duck Summer a great home[​IMG]thanks for ur help

5. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    the farmer you got her from

6. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Ok, that's good - glad to hear. Gosh I didn't know you were so close by. For future reference in case you haven't been there, there's an AZ thread with a lot of active members. If you ever run into a similar situation down the road you might want to post there. Good luck on your next ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by