What should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dcrstarks, Sep 23, 2016.

1. dcrstarks

dcrstarks New Egg

May 31, 2015
    My hen is in the brood box sitting on a clutch, two chicks hatched and she pecked them until they died. Should I remove the rest of the eggs and put them in an incubator or leave them with her. We planned on checking on the multiple times a day so we could remove the chicks before she killed them but it's looking to pour all weekend. This is the first time we have had a hen go broody so I have no idea what I am doing and all advice would be appreciated!

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Are you sure she killed them? If you really think she did it, yes, remove the eggs and put them in an incubator.

One time I found 2 chicks that were trying to hatch, the hen had rolled them out of the nest, out in front of her. Both of them were bloody, but I don't know if they hatched too soon and the membrane was still attached, or if she pecked them.... never happened before or after. But I took them inside and put them under a lamp to finish hatching (one was blind in one eye) and they both made it to laying age.

Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

3. dcrstarks

dcrstarks New Egg

May 31, 2015
    They were pretty beaten up. The one we tried to save was pecked all over his side and next to his eye. The other one was dead when we found them and his head was pecked up. We weren't sure if maybe since they were her first she wasn't sure what was going on.

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    It's possible she didn't take to being a mother...... it happens sometimes. Sort of strange that they go broody and successfully set a clutch, but then kill them off.... I raise sheep too, and I've heard of ewes (first timers) that don't know what to do with their new lambs and some that butt them around outright. Thankfully, I've never had that experience!

Definitely put the eggs in a bator...... sorry about your little ones [​IMG]

5. dcrstarks

dcrstarks New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Thanks I will get them moved over shortly! I am sure my boys will love the experience of getting to watch them hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by