What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickies49, Jan 16, 2017.

1. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    I have just noticed one of my chicken's legs are not the best. From what I can see I am pretty sure it is the joint that is hurt.so basically the few times my chicken stands up she tries to walk and then falls/sits/lays down. I'm not sure it is both legs but she hobbles to walk and then goes back to lying down. I don't know what caused this but maybe she jumped from something and landed funny. I have put down a towel so she's comfy and have put food and water bowls next to her and separated her. She hasn't really made an attempt to walk away or stand up only when she is going to poo. She is eating and drinking.

I just want to know is there anything else I could do to help her or anything I'm doing wrong.In time do these kind of things heal?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    Can you take some photos of the legs/joints or a video of the joints and how she walks?

Inspect the feet (bottoms too), legs and hocks(joints) for any signs of bruising, swelling, scabs or other injury. Also determine if it is one or both legs.

Separating her was the right thing to do. Injuries can take time to heal, so limiting her activity will be helpful. If you have them, offer some poultry vitamins in her water that has B2(Riboflavin) or you can crush a human B-Complex vitamin and add it to her food. Give some extra protein like egg or tuna is sometimes helpful (and usually welcomed).

There is always a possibility it could be due to illness/disease or some type of genetic/developmental disorder as well.

3. chickies49

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    she is 16weeks old. I have given her tuna and egg.im pretty sure its both legs shes not falling over on one particular leg.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyorp Rock's suggestion.

I would just like to let you know that "she" (as you are referring to your chicken) is actually a male/rooster.

6. chickies49

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    thanks for the replies![​IMG]
    He has gotten better over the past few days and can stand and walk now,i think it might of been a small strain or something as he is already getting better.
    thanks, bantamlover21 I jusat wasn't really sure the gender cause I bought them not sexed.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear HE is getting better[​IMG]

I didn't comment on gender-I'm not good at that unless I see those red wattles/combs on young fellas. I have a SLW that I could have swore was a boy for a long time...she lays beautiful eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by