What should I do?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nuts4chickens, May 11, 2010.

1. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I have a broody that hatched out 5 chicks late last night and still has 1 egg left that hasnt pipped. The egg left is cochin egg. The eggs from this hen have always had a really thick membrane and have always been difficult to crack into a bowl without having to puncture the membrane with my index finger to empty the contents. The rest of the hatched eggs were from other hens. This evening I put the egg up to my ear and I can hear the little guy pecking trying to get out. I'm afraid my broody is going to abandon it before he hatches, IF he hatches. I have another broody I can put the egg under if she decides to leave it. What should I do? Should I try to pip it, or just leave it? I'm afraid he's going to die if I dont do something, but I dont want to kill it trying to help it, either. This little egg is 1 day late now, and trying to get out. Sounds like hes right up against the shell, so I'm pretty certain hes pipped the internally. Advice?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As a general rule a hen will not leave the best with a live chick in an egg. She may sneak off for a fast drink, some food and to poop, then back to the nest. I would say let nature take its course.

3. nuts4chickens

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Still no pip this am and now he's 2 days late but still pecking on the inside. What if he's malpositioned and can't get out? I am so tempted to pip the egg... It is so hard to leave it alone. I'm afraid he's going to die if I don't do something.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    If you really think he needs help, then do it, but be prepared to loose this chick if you do, or if you don't.

5. nuts4chickens

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I have decided if he hasn't pipped by the time I get home from work this evening and he's still pecking inside I'm going to pip it. I think either way its going to be bad. He should be out by now. There has to be a problem. He's probably going to die either way but I feel like I need to do something.

6. nuts4chickens

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Well, Mr Chicky died in the shell. When I got home, I couldnt hear him pecking anymore, so I went in. Yolk sac was completely absorbed. He had pipped the internal membrane. He was a BIG chick, and I guess he just couldnt get enought leverage to pip the external shell. No deformities noted. Proper position. Dont have any idea what went wrong. So sad... to make it that far and then not make it out. Wonder what happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by