What should I do?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DRAGGINZUZU, Nov 4, 2010.

1. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Im trying my 1st batch of quail. Im using an old broward 40yr old bator. I have been using a hygro/thermo that I bought from a pet store and have been regulating the temp to it . 99-101.8? and I put in a strip thermo in the also. it says 100. In another post you guys suggested a thermo/hygro from walmart, so I went and picked one up tonight , now it says 105.6 and the other still says 100.1 .. Have I fried my eggs? how do I check and see which one is right? Now Im stressed....
    Tony

2. DRAGGINZUZU

Oct 30, 2010
    ok I put in another temp gauge form an aquarium I have . It has a probe and it is different than the other 2. Im hoping the one from WM is wrong cause I have been going by the 1st one for 5 days now. I have all 3 close to 102 now. Is it better to be to cold than hot? the WM one does have something rattling inside it. I guess 11-12 more days and I'll find out. If I can handle it.. I just looked at them again 1st one is 98.7 WM is not changing 101.8 and the other is 101.3 and it changes up and down.. Im hoping I have a faulty Walmart meter. Im ordering a Spot Check in the morning... if I can sleep .
    Tony

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

good luck with you temp . readings! i have 3 temperature gauges in my incubator and all of them read different...
    Does ANYONE out there recommend a (reasonably priced )temp/humidity gauge for incubators???

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use the Springfield ones from Walmart, they work good for me. But like anything else, there is always a chance of error. The thermo/hygrometer that the OP got could just be defective.

Why are you keeping the temp at 102? If your incubator is forced-air it should be around 100, if it's still air it should be around 101 or so.
    ETA: Remember to test the temperature at egg level otherwise it won't be accurate.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The best is to suck up and buy two nice dial thermometers and use one with a wick to read wet bulb readings. Its not hard, there are conversion charts to tell you exactly where you want to be. And they are generally very ad curate. I have an old sears round one and put the thermometers through the ventilation holes in the side. In the styrofoam bators, I poke them a dedicated hole at the right level. Cutler Supply carries them, you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. Stromberg's carries several different types including a nice set of liquid that should be as accurate as you can find. Otherwise, buy the little instant read dial thermometer, the one that comes with a sleeve. These can also be used as a wet bulb just use gauze or paper towel for a wick.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The thermometers you buy to check outside temperature are only required to be accurate to within 2*F. That does not mean they are within 2*F of the correct temperature. That means if you take them out then put them back, they will be within 2*F of the temperature they read the first time. That's not the right kind to use for an incubator. Next time you are in a place that sells thermometers, check a few out. You'd think they would all read the same temperature in the store. I've seen some that read several degrees different. If you are buying one for outside, get one that reads where most of them do.

For an incubator, get the ones that are supposed to be accurate to within 0.1*F. The ones from Cutler Supply Jenjscott mentioned are within 0.1 degrees. These can still be off the correct temperature by quite a bit. It just means that they should repeat the same reading within 0.1 degrees.

You need to calibrate your thermometers. Your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, may be able to tell you where you can get your thermometers calibrated to 100* locally, but that is likely to cost you a bit. You can calibrate them to freezing and boiling by using the method in the link. That should be close enough.

Calibrate a Thermometer
    http://www.allfoodbusiness.com/calibrating_thermometers.php

Good luck!

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The dial-type thermometers should be available at Walmart in the cooking utensils aisle. Those can be calibrated very easy using the ice water method, and even better they have a nut on the back of the dial that allows you to 'change' the reading. When using the ice water method it should read 32*. If it doesn't, simply turn the nut until it does. Though I still use my cheap-o Springfield thermometers, haven't had a problem yet [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Seems We All May Have Overlooked 1 Yiny Part Of The Equation...... 40 Yr Old Brower Incubator. It Can Be Quite Likely That Your Incubator Temps Are Fluctuating Greatly?

9. DRAGGINZUZU

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah the 40+ yr old brower might be a problem. It was a freebe. so I thought Id give it a go. It is a still air and I read there supposed to be 101-102 . This morning 1st 98.8 WM 101.8 and 3rd 101.5 Im hoping it was just a fluke when I put it in. It just dosent seem to change temp any.. The broward seems to hold steady going by the 1st one usually only fluctuating 1 degree until it kicks on. im going to take the one I got back an swap for another to see if it makes a difference. Like I said in the begining it has something rattling around inside it.. not sure what that is. My fingers are crossed hoping they didnt get too hot. And thanks guys for the replies you are so helpful on here. JJMR I might have to come check out your farm. Im not to far away in Plant City.
    Thanks again guys

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    New info. It is a still air. Hot air rises. You will find that the temperature varies quite a bit in a still air depending on where you put the thermometer. The normal recommendation is 101.5 degrees at the top of the eggs. I never thought of this earlier and feel that I should have. I still think you should calibrate the thermometers.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by