What should i do?????!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by amberrichardsonn, Oct 9, 2011.

1. amberrichardsonn

amberrichardsonn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I have 2 guinea pigs, and would like another one? people have different opinions on introducing new animals to the ones you already have, whats yours?

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    What gender are your guinea pigs?

3. amberrichardsonn

amberrichardsonn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    They are both females,and im planning on getting another one,??

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'd add either another female or a neutered male.

Steps I'd personally use (keep in mind I've only introduced females to males for 4-H, which is a pretty straight forward process, some one else on here is likely to know more):
    -Quarantine. Done for any new pet. Make sure you aren't bringing in diseases/parasites.
    -Set cages next to each other. Let guinea pigs smell/see/hear each other for two or three days.
    -Switch the cages they are in so the new one can get a smell of the old ones, and the old ones can get a good smell of the new one. Switch them a few times over the course of two to three days.
    -Introduce guinea pigs (maybe one of your old girls at a time) to the new pig on neutral ground. Somewhere they do not have their scent on. Offer treats and hiding places.
    -Supervised time together in a spacious cage (the more room, the less you usually have to worry about fighting) with hiding areas provided.
    -Move them in together permanently if all is going well. If things are not going smoothly, start back on square one and slowly work your way up again.

Here is how someone else does it:
    http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by