1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Should I Do

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Nov 11, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    My friend just called and said there are 2 HUGE black chickens at the park by her house and she is worried they will be killed. She wants to get them and bring them here. I having no self control said..."If you can catch them I will take them". I know...quarantine for 30 days but should I take them in the first place? What if they just escaped from their yard? Should they be subjected to bad owners or worst, be killed by a car or predator? What should I do? I would post an add on CL saying found chickens in case the owner is looking for them but what IF is my hang up. I dont want them to get hurt

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    then take them in, quarantine them...maybe do a walk around the neighbor hood they are found...chickens don't wander too far from home, so they may belong to a yard near by....

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree with this post. If it were me, I would feel sorry for them and try to find the owners.

4. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Try using Craigslist or your local paper and run an ad to see if the owners come forward.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would wonder if someone just let them out because they were roosters or sick, and couldn't find anyone to take them. Do you have an animal shelter locally? I would want to see them myself before I allowed someone to bring them to me.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Well, I went to said park to look at birds and knock on a few doors. I was directed to a house where they lived. The owner had passed away a week earlier, nobody knew, and I am now traumatized by what happened next. Her daughter was contacted and she is dealing with it. If she decides not to deal with the birds they can live with me. OMG that poor family [​IMG]

7. pokemonshop

pokemonshop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    I would take them and sell them if they don't accept <($_$)> $$$= [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PS: I don't have space for more chickens

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Oh, that is horrid...BUT check it out, if your friend hadn't contacted you, and you hadn't been a good citizen, then no one would have known about the poor owner passing for even longer. I feel sorry that you found him/her in that state... BUT maybe that was... well I don't know, the Spirit of the persons way of telling a fellow chicken person what happend to him...[​IMG]

9. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I would do exactly what you are doing. Give her the choice of keeping them and if she doesnt want them then offer to care for them for her.[​IMG] That is very sad.[​IMG]

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I agree....EVERYTHING FOR A REASON.....the chickens were found, that led to the discovery of their owner.....be at peace....you are did a good thing to not just ignore it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by