what should i do.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bucky52, Sep 29, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    this evening i moved my broody and her lone chick(chick hatched out yesterday)from the nest down on the floor of the coop.the reason i moved them out of the nest is, it is about two feet from the coop floor.i feared the chick would fall from the nest and would be hurt or chilled.the broody got back on her nest and left the little chick on the floor.tried putting broody in a tote with shavings and baby chick.she was acting up so badly i was afraid she would injury the chick.so put them back in the nest.i could tell baby chick wanted food it kept pecking at its moms mouth.i know they both need to eat and drink.any help please would be greatly appreciated.thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can turn the tote on its side on the floor and so the hen can get out easily. That might make her more accepting of the tote. The shavings will spill out, but no matter.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Move the nest boxes to the floor level or build her a wide ramp and the dittle will follow her up and down to get food and water. Mama hen makes a special and adorable little call when she tells her chicks to follow.

4. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks,i will try that in the morning.i'am thinking she may feel safer in her nest.she shares the coop and run with three other pullets.maybe that is the reason she does not want to leave her nest.

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    For sure send updates, please. :)

6. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    the nest boxes can't be moved.they are part of the walls in the coop.we did make a nest box on the floor.but she left the little one and went back to her old nest.maybe she feels safer up off the floor.i worry about the little one falling from the nest to the floor.i cleaned the coop last week and put lots of fresh shaving on the floor.our night temps.have gotten cool.if it didn't injury it self,it may get chilled.thank you.tomorrow is a new day.i will come up with something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by