what should i do??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Oct 14, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    so about a month ago i got five chickens. one mama and four babies who are about four months old. then, two weeks later i got a chicken and a rooster leghorns. i was scared the rooster would be vicious but it turned out that the mama hen was the meanest. it attacked the leghorns whenever it got near her and sometimes she would attack them for no reason at all. I posted about it on here and i was told that in two weeks give or take, the pecking order would be worked out. it is just over two weeks. i was also told that as long as there is no blood that it is okay. today, i saw some blood on the legs of both leghorns. what should i do??? please help thanks a lot.
    -chickeneer45

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Integrating new birds into a flock can be tricky. A lot depends on how much space you have for the new birds to get away from the older birds. The blood on the leg, is it a big wound, or like a scratch that could have happened getting on/off the roost? Generally, if there is blood due to a chicken being attacked, it is on the head.

How are they behaving now, after the 2 weeks? If they are occasionally chasing the newer birds, that is still normal. It will take quite a while for them to become one big, happy family. It is also normal to have an outsider that spends a great deal of time alone.

If the mother hen is relentless in beating up the others, you can remove her from the flock by caging her up for some time and let the others get along. Then you can add her back in and her "status" as head hen will be bumped down a notch.

3. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    they are like dried droplets of blood in two or three spots same on rooster. i dont think that they are both getting scratched accidently in the same spots, but i guess its possible. sometimes two of the babies will chase the chicken and rooster too. this one baby will kind of flutter over the two outcasts and try to claw them even though the baby is much smaller. the two outcasts are scared of all of them really. mama is usually only a jerk when they get near her.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They could be whacking their legs trying to get away from the others. It sounds like they are settling in a bit. If the mom only goes after them if they invade her space, that's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by