What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by btny9, Feb 21, 2013.

1. btny9

btny9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Mississippi
    One of my baby chicks was acting sick last night. He/She was really tired and weak. I cupped it In my hand too see if it was cold and I gave it some water and food to make sure it was eating. Well this morning it was up eating and drinking by its self with all the other chicks and acted fine but tonight it is kinda acting more weird. It is sort of acting frantick and running around in circles.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Let us know what temperature it is in your brooder, what wattage of light and what type you are using, what you are housing the chicks in, and how old your chicks are. That would help us help you. We'll need to know what you are feeding them also.

3. btny9

btny9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Mississippi
    I don't know right off hand what wattage the light is. I know it a lamp and red bulb I bought from the Tractor Supply store, I watch the timp in the brooder and make sure it doesn't get too hot but I also watch the chicks to make sure they are comfortable. I'f they are all huddled under close to it I know they are too cold and If they are far from it I know they are hot. The chick is almost a week old. And it is Medicated Chick Starter.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Ok. I'll take a guess that the temperature is comfortable enough for your chicks. They are a week old. When you said the chick was "running around in circles", I thought about some of the symptoms caused by vitamin deficiency or old feed. Chicks often get bursts of energy and run quickly across the brooder, eat and sleep often too. For now it is better to be safe than sorry later though.

Never store feed too long/not over 4 weeks. Especially medicated feed. You can start by using a quality vitamin powder in the water. Sav-A-Chick (1 packet per gallon of water), Vitamins-Electrolytes Plus (1Teaspoon per gallon of water) are a few good brands. Do this for three days and let us know how the chicks are behaving. Just to be safe, buy a new bag of starter/grower feed. Don't be shy about asking for expiration dates on the feed from the salesperson. Depending on how many chicks you have, buy enough to last no more than a month. Store it at home in a tight container in a cool, dry area of your home.

5. btny9

btny9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank you so so much. I'm new at all of this and I just want to make sure I do everything I can to keep them healthy. Thank you so much.

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. We are always learning. There's an informative book that may help you in the future. It is called Success With Baby Chicks by Robert Plamondon. Keep us updated on how your chick is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by