What should I do??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snchez22, Aug 29, 2013.

1. snchez22

snchez22 New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    Is it normal for a chicken to lay on her baby after it hatches? Or should I try and take the newly hatched baby out from under her and take it away?

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    This is normal, she will lay/sleep on them to keep them warm. She will lay on them to help them dry after hatching. As long as she gets up in couple days and teaches them where the food and water is they will be fine :)

3. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    She doesn't really "lay" on them, she hovers...there is plenty of room under there.

4. afoshawk119

afoshawk119 New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Any idea on how I can black bear proof my coop, short of moving the girls into the house? I have been through racoons, hawks and now bear. When I have to deal with snacks I will freak!!! And since I live in Florida I know the time will come. I love my hens :( it is so disappointing when I feel I can't protect them.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Move? Yikes! Sorry, kidding. A well trained dog would help.

6. afoshawk119

afoshawk119 New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida Fish and Wildlife representative said don't let the dog go near them, if we like the dog, one swat from a bear and the dog can be seriously injured.

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Maybe some dog urine then?

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

When it comes to bears hot wire is your best bet. A few strands on metal T post's around your coop/run.

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leave the chick(s) with momma. She knows how to take care of them. They spend a lot of time under her the first week or so, but come out to eat and drink. Make sure they can reach the feed and water. They start going out more and more and in a few weeks just go under momma to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by